SO WHAT WILL BODY PUMP DO FOR ME?
The first thing I need to tell you is Body Pump is for everyone. This class is weight based so a new member would start with a light weight and progress over the months to advance to a heavier weight, so a beginner and an advanced participant can work alongside each other, yet BOTH get a workout to suit their individual level.
- Burn up to 600 calories per class for fat loss
- Improve your strength
- Improve your general fitness
- Shape and tone your muscles
- Make you stronger through core conditioning work
- Improve your bone density (helps ward off osteoporosis)
- Give you a sense of achievement
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- Comfortable workout clothes
- Drink bottle and towel
We supply everything else.
WHEN AND WHERE ARE THE CLASSES?
See our timetable to view class times.
HOW MUCH ARE THE CLASSES?
Classes are £4.00. Check out our Special Offers and discounts though for some great savings on classes.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I ATTEND?
Once you have done your first few classes of BODYPUMP, we recommend two classes a week. Your body needs recovery time between workouts. Rest at least one day between classes. Consider attending some cardio classes too (e.g. Body Attack, Zumba, Body Combat). Adding flexibility work such as Pilates will result in a fabulous, integrated workout.
WHEN WILL I NOTICE RESULTS?
Once you’ve started BODYPUMP your nerves will soon get better at telling your muscles what to do. Your muscles, with their tendons and insertions, adapt more slowly. But you’ll notice strength gains as your body gets used to lifting weight. After about six weeks you should feel great! As your strength improves you’ll start to see fat loss and improved muscle tone. Don’t overdo it - if you start to increase the weights too quickly you could suffer injury. Physical activity isn’t a quick fix - it should become a part of your lifestyle.
BODY PUMP... WHAT'S THAT?
It’s the fastest way to shape up and lose body fat. BODYPUMP is a toning and conditioning class with weights and is for just about everybody. It’s perfect for both men and women who want to add strength training into their aerobic workout. The simplicity of the class makes BODYPUMP a great starting point to develop strength and confidence. Hot sounds and compelling choreography keep you going through each workout. A new BODYPUMP class is released every three months with new music and choreography.
SO DESCRIBE A TYPICAL CLASS
This is a group fitness class but you remain stationary throughout. You’ll use a bar, a mat and a set of weights. Each track works a different muscle group and the power of a group environment coupled with strong music motivates even the most timid of participants. If you’re new to weight resistance exercise or you’re out of shape, you should start with light weights. After a few classes you’ll know how much weight is right for you. If you’re unsure, ask your instructor.
- Warm-up - This is to get your entire body moving so it is important that you only use light weights.
- Legs, chest and back - These are large muscles so require slightly bigger weights.
- Triceps, biceps and shoulders - Initially only light weights, moving up to medium as you get stronger.
- Abdominals - To help support and strengthen your core posture.
- Stretch - This is vital after a hard workout to stretch your muscles. You’ll increase your flexibility and reduce any risk of muscle soreness or injury.
HOW DO I DO BODY PUMP SAFELY?
Your teacher is there to make sure you do everything correctly, but try to remember:
- Good posture is the foundation of all exercise.
- Focus on learning the right technique at the beginning.
- Work continuously at perfecting your technique.
- Perform the movements with control - smooth actions, not jerky.
- Always keep your joints slightly bent, don’t lock out your arms or legs.
- Listen to your body, it will tell you if something is not right.
- Body Pump should feel challenging, but at any time you need to take a rest, that’s fine!
Some muscle pain is natural at first, especially if it’s the same on both sides of your body. This is muscle soreness. Muscle soreness is typical when starting out on a training programme and normally occurs 24 to 48 hours after exercise. If you have pain down only one side or in the joints, check with the teacher. If the pain continues, see your doctor.
BODY PUMP TESTIMONIAL
"I have been attending Body Pump classes at Marske Leisure Centre for almost five years now. I find the instructors to be extremely enthusiastic and really push you to be the best that you can be. I feel that Body Pump helps to maintain the shape and tone I have achieved throughout my body, and along with the other classes that I attend, (Body Attack, Pilates and Body Combat), I am able to maintain my ideal Body Weight."
Charlotte. Age 27 from New Marske.
Body Pump is an excellent session that covers strength, muscular endurance and aerobic endurance. Men who think that Body Pump is for girls should definately give this class a go as it works muscles that you didn't know you had!
"The session allows you to work as hard as you wish due to the adjustable weights and I can honestly say it is one of the best training session I have ever been to. After each session I really feel that I have worked hard and have already noticed the benefits."
David Goodchild, Sport Science Lecturer and Semi Pro Footballer, Aged 34, Guisborough
"Body Pump classes are the best classes that I have ever been to. It works every muscle in my body leaving me with the feel good factor and the knowledge that I have trained to my full potential. I always look forward to the classes and know that any training I have missed or if I have under trainined, I will make up for it in Body Pump. The staff make you feel very welcome and push you to your own personal limits making you work harder and smarter."
Anthony Hume, Sport Student & Semi Pro Footballer, Ages 20, Middlesbrough